Thursday, October 24, 2013

Spider Web Quilt Along ~ Part 2 ~ Adding The Outer Border


Time to Add the Outer Borders!

When I was designing this as I sewed, I found a remanant of black mottled grunge type fabric in my stash of which I had about 1/2 yard.
I had a very small strip left afterwards,  about 1/2" ... so ...
 You may want to allow a little extra fabric (maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of a yard)
in case you have a cutting "oops" like I do sometimes
and need to cut any of the pieces twice.


 I did "audition" other fabrics ... a black solid, white solid
and purple solid (Kona Amethyst was the perfect match to the purple in the Boo Crew blocks)

I decided at this time that I wanted  a spooky looking black web
with white quilting thread. 
I chose the mottled black as it looked just right with the Boo Crew.
Your fabrics may pop with a different color web so try other ideas and pick the effect that looks best to your designer eye.


My quilty kitties and I used strips, sewed and cut afterwards.
If you are comfortable with this method of piecing, then sew for it ...


allowing about 6" between the triangles for the outer points of the web.

For these instructions, though,  
I am going to recommend that you ...

Cut:  4.5" strips
(for 40" WOF fabric you will need 3 strips)
and then
Subcut: 8 rectangles,  4.5" by 12.5" each.


Center each triangle on the strips an sew.

Press seams open as for squares.





Next Step - Part 3 HERE

Cutting and Sewing the Curves


 :)

2 comments:

Sally said...

Pat
You are a sweetheart. Thanks so much for sharing this!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Sally! You are a doll for sharing this with us.

xo Linda